Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

SUNDAY SPECIAL: Disappointing make-up of 2015


The last installment in the recap of 2015 takes us over to the disappointing make-up products section. Luckily, there haven’t been many of them last year but two of them were quite expensive so the year could have gone better. Let me just say that although the product didn’t work for me that doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t work for you. Also, I do like these brands and many other products from them, so the items mentioned below were just unlucky coincidences.


 Let’s start with the biggest disappointment – the Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit. It cost me 40$ as I bought it in the US, but in Slovenia you would pay a whopping 75 € for it! I wrote an entire rant about the palette which you can read here (swatches!) but to recap – I didn’t like the packaging, the pigmentation or the shades so I wouldn’t encourage you to buy it. Instead, consider a cheaper alternative, like the Makeup Revolution contour palettes or another high-end one (I love my Kat von D Shade&Light palette).

The Freedom makeup bronzing trio – Bronzed professional Pro in Shimmer lights was sent to me by Licila.si and I was excited by the prospect of another compact trio. Unfortunately, I wasn’t impressed by the packaging or the pigmentation of the bronzer which is the part of the trio that’s a deal breaker in my book – I think it’s not that difficult to create a nice blush or a highlighter. For swatches, click here.

The Collection Lasting Perfection concealer is one of the products that is notorious in the beauty community in Slovenia and abroad. I might have expected too much from it, but the fact is that it did not work for me. My under eyes looked like a metro map when I used it and setting or even baking it didn’t improve the situation, so I have since stopped using it. It only cost a few Euro so the damage was minimal, but I was really excited to get my hands on it and found it lacking.

The E.L.F. mineral eyeshadow primer has been one of my favorites for a long time and when the online store in the U.K. was closing I quickly purchased 3 more of them so I wouldn’t need to worry about eye primers for a long time. I’m not sure if I just got a bad batch or if they have gone bad from sitting in my cabinet for the best part of the year, but the formula separated and became really oily, hence unusable on my already oily lids.


The Golden Rose Ultra Volume 4x Mascara was introduced to me by Golden Rose brand managers as one of the best sellers and I was excited at the prospect of finding a great mascara for a few Euro. Unfortunately, the bristles of this particular mascara are thick and placed quite close together so they grabbed a whole bunch of eyelashes at once and made them look really clumpy. I kept using and using it for the better part of three months in the hope that as the formula changed slightly due to age, I would find the mascara easier to use and better (I’ve had such experience with other mascaras so it was worth a try). Unfortunately, this particular mascara never worked for me.

Last but not least, I was highly disappointed in the Laura Mercier eye pencil. At 22 $ price tag, it should do wonders. Unfortunately, the pencil is not smooth at all, which is why using it is borderline painful. Dragging it on the lid literally caused me pain and while I could theoretically tightline with it, the product transferred to the waterline a lot. There are other less expensive eye liners out there that do a much better job.

With this, the recap of 2015 is officially finished! I’d love to know what products disappointed you so I can steer clear of them! Next week, we’ll be talking brushes, so stay tuned for that one!

Until then, stay beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment